Due the CoViD-19 emergency affecting the whole world, several sailing events specifically designed for maxi yachts and therefore included in the 2020 IMA calendar have been postponed, or even cancelled.
The IMA team is working closely with different organising yacht clubs, partners and maxi owners in order to verify, case by case, the best alternatives for the future.
At the moment the following events have been postponed or cancelled:
Palma Vela, originally scheduled for May 6 to 10 in Palma, is now scheduled to take place from
October 22 to October 25.
Please visit www.palmavela.com for further details
Rolex Capri Sailing Week, including Regata dei Tre Golfi, originally scheduled for May 16 to 22, 2020. The 2020 event has been cancelled, with official announcement made on March 30. Please visit the official website for details: www.rolexcaprisailingweek.com
Preliminary dates for 2021 edition are:
- Maxi Yacht Capri Trophy: May 11 to 14
- ORC European Championship: May 15 to 21
- Regata dei Tre Golfi (160 miles long-distance race): start from Naples at midnight on May 15th.
Rolex Giraglia, originally scheduled for June 5 to 13, 2020, was cancelled with official
announcement made on April 18.
The regatta is now scheduled for June 11 to 19, 2021.
The Yacht Club Italiano is offering 2020 entries the following alternatives:
- Request the full refund of the 2020 registration fee;
- Confirm as of now their registration for next year and carry over their registration fee for the 2021 edition of the Rolex Giraglia, thus maintaining priority for guaranteed mooring in the port of Saint-Tropez / Marines de Cogolin;
- Donate the registration fee, in whole or in part, to the charity initiative in favour of the Hospital Ship organised by the Department of Health of Regione Liguria for the emergency COVID 19, providing assistance to hundreds of patients who have to undergo convalescence in quarantine.
Loro Piana Superyacht Regatta, planned for June 2 to 6 in Porto Cervo, is cancelled.
Please refer to www.yccs.com for further details.
Palermo-Montecarlo offshore race, scheduled to start from Palermo on August 18, was officially cancelled on April 7.
More info on the official event’ website: www.palermo-montecarlo.it
On April 10, it was officially announced that 151 Miglia-Trofeo Cetilar had been cancelled too, with
new dates already confirmed for the 2021 edition. Save the date for May 29-June 1, 2021.
For further information please visit www.151miglia.it.
The International Maxi Association is fully committed to follow all national and international requirements and prescriptions in order to avoid the spread of the Covid-19.
At this stage it is difficult to find positive words and see the way forward but the world has always come through previous pandemics, some more lethal than this one.
Therefore we are sure we will come through this one although there may be many changes in the way we do things in the future, many for the better.
Our passion for sailing, somehow, somewhere, will not be dimmed and we look forward to that as soon as it safe to do so.